Brilliant! Thanks both Ben and Rosie, will play with these and see if it helps make our issues more replicable.

Deborah

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Benjamin Florin
Sent: Monday, 20 April 2020 2:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Low-bandwidth simulator

Chrome and Firefox have bandwidth throttling built in to their Developer Tools, but it's a little buried. In both browsers, the option in Developer Tools for turning on the mobile view (called Responsive Design Mode in FF and Device Toolbar in Chrome) are turned on with the phone/tablet icon:

[image: throttling-chrome.png]

And have a dropdown menu in the the browser view that turns on bandwidth
throttling:

[image: throttling-firefox.png]

Firefox has a much wider range of speeds than Chrome, but they'll both do in a pinch. Firefox can go down to around ~50 Kbps, which is plenty slow, and Chrome lets you create your own bandwidth throttles (under the Performance menu in Developer Tools) all the way down to 1983 modem speeds.

We use it all the time to gauge how well we're doing. Nothing has given me more of a shudder than loading our site in a screen reader with bandwidth throttled to regular 2G network speed.

Ben

--
Ben Florin
Web Developer