Dear colleagues,

I wanted to share a resource from UC Berkeley Library that may be of
interest and use.

Often, scholarly outputs depend upon researchers' access to underlying
resources stewarded by libraries, archives, and other cultural heritage
institutions. Institutions that seek to make their collections (and
especially their special collections) digitally available to facilitate
research must first navigate law and policy issues like copyright,
contracts, privacy, and ethics. Developing expertise in these four areas
can be a significant impediment to collection digitization. As explained
more fully in this story <https://news.lib.berkeley.edu/responsible-access>,
UC Berkeley Library has recently released Responsible Access Workflows
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1V66PGpIq9xqXxdvngpD3rkAMoIw2hIyVVDS4Iv4VFOM/edit#slide=id.g56280a330b_0_0>
as
an adaptable way for U.S. cultural heritage institutions to navigate these
hurdles to facilitate digitization of special collections.

As detailed in the story <https://news.lib.berkeley.edu/responsible-access>,
certain workflow decisions can be made at scale where information is
lacking, or an institution takes a certain position on something (e.g.
maybe an institution wants to treat all content as "newsworthy" for
purposes of the privacy inquiry under state and federal law; maybe there
isn't sufficient information on collection publication dates so the
institution decides to treat the material as unpublished with a longer
period of copyright protection because they are more risk averse). All
those junctures are the yellow boxes in the workflows. Please keep in mind
that these are always going to be a living document, and we will continue
to update them.

The four workflows (copyright, contracts, privacy, and ethics) can be
applied in any order. Within the ethics workflow in particular, when there
is the potential for harm to or exploitation of people, resources, or
knowledge, the workflow calls for applying local ethics best practices. We
are working on developing UC Berkeley Library's local best practices right
now. We will likely have one general set of local ethics best practices,
and one that is specifically related to Indigenous materials. We expect
these to be released sometime in the fall.

The entire set of workflows are also the framework to support our community
engagement policy <https://digital.lib.berkeley.edu/about> (akin to a
takedown) -- which mirrors the four policy principles around copyright,
contracts, privacy, and ethics. If content passes muster for being made
available through the workflows, then it will remain online absent
additional information from a user that would lead to a different result
when applying the workflows.

We have major next steps ahead of us (with all deliverables to be publicly
released for adaptation):

   1. Finalize local ethics best practices within the ethics workflow
   2. Create extensive documentation about how to answer the workflow
   questions
   3. Create a way of capturing the answers to workflow questions (e.g.
   spreadsheet or software) to have for record-keeping and to support
   assignment of rights statements
   4. Assign rights statements

We hope the workflows and community engagement policy may be of interest or
use to you.

As ever,
-Salwa

*-----*
*Salwa Ismail*
*Associate University Librarian for Digital Initiatives and Information
Technology*
*Associate CIO for UC Berkeley Library*
*Doe Annex 255G*
*UC Berkeley Library*
*o: (510) 664-5484*

The Library is open, even though our buildings are closed:
https://news.lib.berkeley.edu/COVID