From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Kyle Breneman

Sent: Friday, August 21, 2020 4:11 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: [CODE4LIB] Chat sliders and usability/accessibility

[EXTERNAL EMAIL - USE CAUTION]

We just implemented a chat slider across our library's website <https://library.ubalt.edu>, set to open automatically 10 seconds after page load.  Although the slider seems to be increasing our interactions with users, I am worried about a negative affect to usability or accessibility.  NNG clearly says <https://secure-web.cisco.com/13TKVIK2agVvjf9AubL43lLPPRM3mruXyHVa2dSiG7xIUIz2WpcBbrCC9-W7ZWwjx-UxTlMtfPr1xLm05FnI-iJrzy9lkMXhN9n7RqyaLrDmUJT7rfAJ9Wks9SLa9AgjbYy5gQNFdzaobnEaeJeCrR28WzXDxTrpz9TE8EI1NRXDGqniCFQmVGax1uhaa7S-OMxkC1RlwfriPjvJ_9-rYYuerczMsTbf1XuyyyyKtz-LhyWWCnM_3ZXY86-kIxTyPKmpN9-avJAEx_xYzjpxwkGDKYDHdrlYtQk0rkuBzmz-xt3W4ELs-6Jj-iyXuLgAkgzBsig8suLCS8cAzjrADy9_C9NHFKrdWdUqi0a0lcNYM_2CTzpmVYkWjhDSVMl6b8UVsf0CgcUtplCbQcLKTVDtiR3ZGNn73Vfm9OndBDXbNRR9ZMTcprqJ8x7UEx0OH/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nngroup.com%2Farticles%2Fpopups%2F>that

pop-ups are generally bad, but the slider isn't quite a pop-up.

Anybody have some authoritative info on the usability and accessibility of chat sliders?

Regards,

Kyle