> On Aug 31, 2020, at 3:36 PM, Lawrence Olliffe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> There are several online converters, that can sometimes do better jobs, depending on how you configure their settings.
>
> If you'd rather do them yourself, and have different controls, or particularly if you want to script multiple conversions, here are two methods that I've used.  If anyone has improvements to add to these, I'd appreciate hearing them.
>
> Method #1 first converts the video to individual frames, and then constructs the frames into a gif.
> Method #2 is a more direct conversion, however first generates a more focused palette, resulting in a smaller file size, than when using all available colours.

And if you’re really anal retentive about file size, then you slice up the images so only the parts that are changing are kept in the subsequent frames and they just get placed on top of the existing image rendered so far

I seem to recall the ability to define the time between each frame as well, so you could have it wait extra long on some frames without having to just repeat it

As for what tools to actually use to do it, I have no clues these days.  I haven’t had to do much graphics work since the days when we had to worry about people still on dial up and without JavaScript support, so most people were still using Photoshop

I did a quick dig through A List Apart to see if they had anything on animated gifs from the early days, but I guess that didn’t quite fit into their scope back then.  And I can’t remember what other websites I used to read, as a lot of the graphics stuff was still printed in dead tree magazines back in those days. (Adobe, Design Graphics, etc)

-Joe