Dear Colleagues,

The UW-Madison Libraries is pleased to announce that we are seeking candidates for a new position: Data, Science & Engineering Diversity Resident Librarian. Visit go.wisc.edu/DiversityResident for details.

Please help us share widely!

Applications requested by September 8, 2020.

Full posting below.

Best,
Deborah Helman

Director of Science & Engineering Libraries

Full posting details:

UW-Madison Libraries is now seeking candidates for its Diversity Resident Librarian Program, which was established in 2013. This program provides an opportunity for entry-level librarians from diverse backgrounds to begin their professional careers and develop skills and experience in academic librarianship. As members of the ACRL Diversity Alliance, we are committed to “increasing the hiring pipeline of individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups.”

This is a three-year placement designed to encourage and promote professional growth and development of recent graduates. It provides a broad-based awareness of principles and practices in an area of academic library specialization. The applicant does not need to have prior experience but should show an interest in the specialization area and a desire to learn the skills necessary to be successful on the job.

The UW-Madison Libraries will support professional development and service activities in the library, on campus, and in the wider academic library community, including conference attendance and opportunities to develop a presentation or publication based on the Resident’s UW-Madison activities.

The Data, Science & Engineering Diversity Resident Librarian at UW-Madison Libraries will actively engage the science and engineering research community, with an emphasis on the ongoing delivery and development of services for research data, data sciences and scholarly communication, in a supported and dynamic environment.

The person in this position will work closely with a team of science and engineering librarians, as well as staff across the UW-Madison Libraries.  Mentorship and collaboration with colleagues, including staff from the Research Data Services (RDS) team, the Data Science Hub, the Director of Scholarly Communication, and Libraries’ Teaching & Learning Program will provide a robust structure for professional growth and contributions. The Libraries have a strong self-governance model, which resident staff are encouraged to participate in if interested.

With ongoing professional development and mentorship provided, the Resident Librarian will:

The Libraries at the University of Wisconsin-Madison are dedicated to the practices of social justice, diversity, equality, and respect among our staff, students, collections, and services. We strive to overcome historical and divisive biases in our society and embrace diverse points of view as assets to the fabric of our community. All positions will be called on to contribute to building this environment.

Research Services (55%)

Engagement Services & Outreach (15%)

Teaching & Learning (10%)

Special Project (10%)

Professional Development & Service (10%)

Qualifications

Required:

Preferred:

Starting Salary: $53,000 with an excellent benefits package.

How to Apply

To apply for the position, please send a cover letter and resume to [log in to unmask].

The cover letter should speak to:

A criminal background check is required.  The deadline for applications is September 8, 2020. The position may start as early as November 2, 2020.

Any questions may be directed to Nate Ebert at [log in to unmask].

—

Deborah Helman

Director of Science & Engineering Libraries

University of Wisconsin – Madison

334B Steenbock Library

550 Babcock Drive | Madison, WI 53706

ORCID: 0000-0002-0542-5396