One effect of the COVID pandemic is that our institution has turned to
ProctorU for conducting remote, socially-distanced exams.  They have a
live proctor service, but it's very expensive, so the university is
pushing most people to use their automated service.

We've had students coming into the library looking for someplace they
can take ProctorU exams, and we haven't had much luck helping them.  The
software demands:

- a computer with a web cam
- some moderately complex setup, including allowing a remote person to
type in the password to get into the exam
- a private space with no visible or audible background interruptions
- no books, notes, phones, computers or clutter visible in the scene
- no windows
- a mirror behind the student so the software can check for notes posted
on or behind the monitor

We just don't have any spaces that are well suited to this.  Our study
rooms are equipped with computers, have windows, and lack mirrors.
We've had to simply tell students that we can't help them.

We're kicking this up the chain of command because it seems like a
problem for the broader university, not just the library.  But we're
still curious: have any of you dealt with this?  What have you come up
with?

Will Martin

Head of Digital Initiatives, Systems and Services
Chester Fritz Library
University of North Dakota