All,

I am interested in hearing about markup formats, software, and processes to managing and publishing cataloging documentation for use by many communities. We need a way to encode the documentation so that it can easily be updated, versioned, and outputted as a searchable website and PDF for downloads.

Currently we are looking at various flavors of XML markup, and the software needed to output that, but we didn't want to limit our view. Do any of you all have suggestions? And more importantly, the reasons for your suggestions?

Melanie Polutta
Library of Congress
P.S. I don't speak for the Library.