There is an xslt file here: https://github.com/reeset/marcedit_xslt_files  -- file is proquest.xsl (maybe a little out of date -- I'm not sure)

You can use this in any program that can use xslt.  In MarcEdit, you can register the transformation and then use the batch tool to process files in batch across a single folder or folders and subfolders.

--tr

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Hammer, Erich F
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2020 2:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] ProQuest XML to MarcXML

We are working on a more automated process for our Electronic Thesis and Dissertations, and I'm wondering if anyone here has already done this and is willing to share code and/or where to watch for potholes.

The University Graduate Student office works with students to submit their final/official ETDs to ProQuest.  ProQuest does some of their own processing and then FTPs the ETDs as a zip file of PDFs and XML to a drop zone we host.  In addition to accessioning them into our digital archives, we want to automate pre-loading the metadata for Connexion so our Cataloging group can verify the data and add their local, human touch before pushing it up to OCLC.

Our thinking was to script a conversion for the ProQuest XML to MarcXML and import that into Connexion.  Has anyone already written a tool to do that?  Is there an alternative (/better?) process?

Thanks,
Erich

--
Erich Hammer            Head of Library Systems
[log in to unmask]         University Libraries

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and
he is turned out for what he knows."        -- Mark Twain