I was skeptical at first, too, but took the leap anyway and signed us up
here at Eastern Oregon University.  It went through our campus IT and legal
departments first and the were okay with it.  As I was setting things up I
noticed if there’s any question as to whether or not your institution owns
the IP the registry will ask you to prove it.  So far my impression is this
is safe and I really like the idea of not having to alert fifty different
vendors about an IP change (like when we had to move our proxy to a new
server).  My impression is more and more publishers are starting to join
this, so there’s a good chance it just might prove to a great resource.
Time will tell I guess.

Jeremiah

--
Jeremiah Kellogg