The experience of having to change IPs with publishers and vendors is what
ultimately pushed me to sign up even though I was feeling kind of
skeptical.  The proxy migration actually  happened a couple years ago
before we signed up for the IP Registry, so the fun of trying to figure out
who I should contact to give updates was still fresh in my mind.  I still
occasionally get reports of people not being able to access a journal,
usually from a smaller publisher we subscribe to through Ebsco Electronic
Journal Services, and it always turns out to be that that publisher doesn't
have the right IP ranges for our institution (we added some new ranges over
the past 5 years and we also removed some).  What ends up happening in
those cases is I jump through a lot of hoops to set up a web-admin account
with that smaller publisher just so I can give them my IP ranges or submit
a helpdesk ticket to have the ranges changed.  If those smaller vendors
used the ip registry, I wouldn't have to do that anymore, and that was
pretty much the final push for me.  It hasn't necessarily paid off yet,
though, so I can't say I've actually experienced a true benefit from
signing up, and it was done more out of hopes that I could manage our IPs
in one spot rather than through the 50 or so different vendor/publisher
web-admin modules.  I think that's really what it's meant to be, but I
don't think it's quite there yet.  I can't say I've experienced any
drawbacks yet, either.   At the moment, we only have 10 vendors who use the
ip registry to get our ranges (Annual Reviews, Cambridge University Press,
Taylor and Francis, University of Chicago Press, Wiley Blackwell, to name a
few).  Every few weeks or so I get an email from the ip registry announcing
new vendors, so it's still growing.  I also get notification from some
vendors we hold licenses with that they're moving to the IP Registry
(Rockefeller University Press for example).  The IP registry web-admin
module is pretty easy to use.  You update and manage your IPs yourself, and
you get a list of vendors who are using the service to get your IPs.  If
you try adding an IP that you don't own they'll pick up on it and ask for
proof that you own it.  I'm hopeful this will grow into what it aspires to
be, and it has backing from some fairly large vendors and publishers, but I
can't say it's there quite yet.  If most vendors were using this I think it
would be a huge asset.

--
Jeremiah Kellogg
Systems Librarian