Please consider submitting a proposal for the March 2021 symposium In Her Own Right: Women’s Activism, 1820-1920. Deadline December 15th. Find more details below and the full call for proposals here: http://herownright.pacscl.org/2020/10/01/symposium-cfp/

Thank you for sharing widely!

---

One hundred years after the passage of the 19th Amendment, the Philadelphia Area Consortium for Special Collections Libraries (PACSCL) invites proposals for an online conference on women’s activism, 1820-1920. It will be held virtually on March 18 and March 19 (partial days; schedule to be determined based on submissions). Martha S. Jones, author of the recent book Vanguard: How Black Women Broke Barriers, Won the Vote, and Insisted on Equality for All, is confirmed as keynote speaker. This conference will celebrate more than 5 years of work on the In Her Own Right project, http://inherownright.org/

The In Her Own Right project aims to serve many audiences. From curated contextual content crafted to appeal to teachers, students, and the general public; to digitized collections for seasoned researchers and historians; to raw data available for download and use in digital scholarship; our website offers a range of ways to interact with archival sources. We have placed a particular emphasis on surfacing the stories of women who are traditionally underrepresented in the historical record – Black, Indigenous, and women of color; women in romantic relationships with other women; incarcerated or institutionalized women; sex workers; differently abled women; and more.

Our definition of activism is broad – an opening up of possibilities for women, be it in their personal lives, relationship to wage and other forms of labor, or participation in formal political processes.

We invite historians, archivists, and digital humanities scholars; feminists, activists, and artists; teachers, educators, and members of the general public; to all join us in sharing your perspectives and learning from each other.

Click here for full call for proposals with additional details: http://herownright.pacscl.org/2020/10/01/symposium-cfp/

Apologies for cross-posting. Please help us by sharing this announcement far and wide with anyone who you think might be interested!

--

Margaret Graham
Interim Director

College of Medicine

Drexel University

archives.drexelmed.edu
@visiblehistory | @ducomarchives
215-991-8342
215-991-8340 (main)

Doctor or Doctress?  |  doctordoctress.org

Explore American history through the eyes of women physicians