Hello colleagues,

I'm pleased to share the following announcement with you.

DCMI Open Meeting on Application Profiles
December 17 - 16:00 UTC (8am PST, 11am EST, 5pm CET)

Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI) is holding an open meeting to
discuss a new work product, a specification for tabular application
profiles.

Many communities today create application profiles (APs) for their data.
However, we lack a standard that would help those communities create,
document, and share their metadata profiles.

Dublin Core Metadata Initiative has had profiles on its agenda since 1999.
This year a working group was formed to develop a simple, core vocabulary
for the information carried in application profiles. Because profile
documentation often takes the form of tables or spreadsheets, it was
decided to create the initial vocabulary specifically in support of a
tabular model. Although the vocabulary consists of only 12 elements, the
model supports entity descriptions, property listings, cardinality rules
and value rules. There is a primer [1] for the proposed profile template
[2] and a vocabulary definition document. [3] We also have some proofs of
concept in the “examples” folder. [4]

Discussion and work plans are at the project mailing list [5] and in github
issues [6]. We welcome any and all participation in the work.

The meeting will be on Zoom, December 17, 16:00 UTC. (8am PST, 11am EST,
5pm CET) (If there is interest beyond these time zones, let us know and we
can do a separate meeting at a convenient time.) Register for the meeting
at this link:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYtceCrrT4qG9wnoBIMu2xoJ_MaL6v6ebxT

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions
for joining the meeting.

[1] https://github.com/dcmi/dctap/blob/main/TAPprimer.md
[2] https://github.com/dcmi/dctap/blob/main/TAPtemplate.csv
[3] https://github.com/dcmi/dctap/blob/main/TAPvocabulary.md
[4] https://github.com/dcmi/dctap/tree/main/examples
[6] https://github.com/dcmi/dcap/issues

Best regards,

John

--
*John Huck*, MLIS
Metadata Librarian / University of Alberta Library / he/him/his