On Jan 22, 2021, at 11:11 AM, Jill Ellern <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm doing some research into systems librarian duties and wondering if there is an easy way to get a dump of the code4lib jobs from the last 10 years?  In excel format?

Easy? I'd be surprised.

There are two or three sources of the Code4Lib jobs data:

  1. the underlying data from the jobs.code4lib.org site

  2. any one of a number of different Code4Lib mailing list Web archives

  3. the archived mailbox (mbox) files from the mailing list

I don't think the jobs site has been around for ten years. Has it? Nor do I know whether or not the data is archived. If it is, then I'd bet you will be able get it in some sort of structured format like JSON or delimited delimited format like Excel.

Scraping different Web archives would require... scraping which, personally, I run away from.

Finally, the archived mbox files would be the most comprehensive, but a programmer would have to parse the mbox (email) files, which is a specialized task in and of itself. If you want to know where the mbox files are located, then drop me a line and I'll let you know. Easy.

Finally, what's the questions you would like to answer? How many system librarian jobs have been posted? Where were the jobs? What are the characteristics of systems librarianship and how have they changed over time? How much they pay? Extracting some of this information from the postings may be difficult, if not heroic in nature.

--
Eric Morgan
University of Notre Dame