Dear colleagues,

We hope this message finds you all safe and healthy.

With February right around the corner, the
Emulation-as-a-Service-Infrastructure (EaaSI) team is happy to share
our *January
Resource Highlight*, *“Emulation as a Service - Test Report.”*

This report, published in October 2020 by colleagues at the Dutch Digital
Heritage Network, details the methods, findings, and recommendations
resulting from a pilot test of EaaSI software. The pilot was coordinated by
Eoin O’Donohoe and Claudia Rock at Sound & Vision and includes a *video
game use case* from Regional Archive Alkmaar, an *architecture & urban
planning use case* from Het Nieuwe Instituut, and a *new media art use case*
from Beeld en Geluid. The report concludes with 5 recommendations for
organizations to ponder as they consider whether and how to incorporate
software preservation and emulation activities into their existing digital
curation program.

Read the full report here: 👉 http://bit.ly/dhn-eaasi-testreport

*Resource Highlights* are monthly opportunities for the EaaSI team to
showcase the range of work of EaaSI staff and partners. Resources may
include (but not be limited to): staff blog posts that connect software
curation and emulation, capacity building templates that provide structured
activities for digital curation practitioners, and reports from our EaaSI
partner organizations on their own emulation explorations.

NOTE: Keep an eye out in the next week or so - we’ll release the recording
and supplementary materials from our January EaaSI Roundtable *“What We
Talk About When We Talk About Emulation.”*

If you have questions for the project team, please contact the EaaSI
Community Outreach Lead, Jessica Meyerson, at <jessica[at]educopia[dot]org>.

MORE ABOUT EAASI

The EaaSI program
<https://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/emulation-as-a-service-infrastructure/>
builds on previous work to apply the Emulation-as-a-Service (EaaS)
<http://eaas.uni-freiburg.de/> framework for access and use of preserved
software and digital objects. The project is focused on scaling the
technological framework necessary for multiple institutions to configure,
share, and access software and configured environments. EaaSI is focused on
a distributed, community-driven architecture that sits on top of existing
digital preservation infrastructure. This directly complements existing
efforts by the Software Preservation Network
<https://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/> and others to address key
aspects of software preservation including legal advocacy, research about
local software preservation needs, institutional capacity building for
software preservation, collection development, professional development and
training, and workflow recommendations.

--
*Jessica Meyerson*
Director for Research & Strategy | Educopia Institute <http://educopia.org/>

Pronouns: she/her/hers
Working from Austin, TX
jessica[at]educopia[dot]org | 512-864-4575
https://calendly.com/jmeyerson