I'm sure a public library has different needs/goals than an academic library, but I'm a strong advocate for open source software.  In addition to MS Office, Adobe Reader, Chrome and VLC, our general use student computers have 7-zip, Audacity, Firefox, and Notepad++, Paint.Net and WinSCP.

I would certainly worry more about information collection from Google Chrome than about using OSS.  For that matter, you are already using VLC which is OSS too.

In my previous position as a college IT manager, I required all computers to have LibreOffice, although I haven't pushed for that here yet.  It is on my agenda though.  It's my belief that we should provide the ability to use/practice software that patrons can also use at home without needing to pay a monopolistic company.  LibreOffice is highly compatible with Word and Excel and less so with PowerPoint (although entirely capable as presentation software) and is my daily driver for office needs.  I do have MS Office installed on my own system but only because I have to use Outlook.

Erich

On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 17:30, Charles Meyer eloquently inscribed: