On Feb 3, 2021, at 11:42 AM, Kyle Banerjee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Both clouds include words like "library", "information", and "data". But I
>> was more interested in prominent words in one set and not another. For
>> example, the earliest chunk (1971-1974) included the following words:
>>
>>  number; time; file; automation; computer;
>>  marc; system; catalog; book; will; records
>>
>> But the newest chuck (2016-2020) did not include those words but it did
>> include different ones:
>>
>>  digital; web; https; search; research; users;
>>  content; technology; university; doi; metadata
>>
>> Based on a tertiary glance, the older literature surrounded MARC records,
>> but the newer literature is: 1) more academic, and 2) has embraced the
>> Internet. Similarly, "cataloging" has morphed into "metadata".
>
> Looks like a shift from operational to general concepts (except a few that
> point at other things like https and doi). With much greater complexity
> everywhere, one would hope discussion isn't dominated by super basic stuff.
>
> But with greater specialization, such terms may simply represent lowest
> common denominator terminology that appears everywhere (like articles,
> prepositions, conjunctions, etc) rather than actual content.
>
> --
> kyle

Kyle, I'm sure your assessment has a great deal of validity and is definitely more nuanced than mine, and on a similar but different note, I appreciate the ability to make such comparisons, to be able to extract this sort of information quickly & easily, and to make it accessible.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Navari Family Center for Digital Scholarship