Hello Code4Lib community,

Please allow me to tell you about https://www.oahelper.org, a free browser extension, which combines the APIs of unpaywall.org and core.ac.uk to help users find free and legal Open Access copies for otherwise paywalled articles.

To ensure that your users are not left “alone”, the extension also offers basic support for EZProxy and your local Link Resolver. The goal is to let users access the benefit of the library’s subscription with a simple click of the button, or at least be able to check availability.

The app, which is available for Chrome (and thus all Chromium based browsers, such as Opera & Microsoft Edge), Firefox, Safari (macOS) and as an app on iOS and iPadOS is free to users and libraries a like. Unlike the common wisdom that if you are not paying for something you are the product, I'd like to assure you that this isn't the case with Open Access Helper (feel free to check the network traffic). It's my hobby and a ton of fun. I won't say no to a cup of tea, if you were to insist ;)

Downloads are available from https://www.oahelper.org

The Chrome & Firefox extension is currently available in English, Germany, French and Dutch. The French and Dutch translations were provided through the kindness of librarians.

I would be delighted, if you and your colleagues would consider supporting my effort:

- Check your institution’s EZProxy Settings are represented correctly at https://www.oahelper.org/proxy/
- Consider submitting your Link Resolver to me ([log in to unmask])
- Tell your students and teaching staff about it  - Thank you :)
- If you speak a language other than the ones supported already, please consider contributing a translation (eMail me at [log in to unmask] to find out more)

Many thanks for your interest!

Kind regards,

Claus