> On Mar 30, 2021, at 9:08 AM, McDonald, Stephen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Ah, I see.  Was the original question intended as a joke?  I took the question seriously.  There are databases out there which record facial features like this and taxonomies exist for various body features.  But I'm not aware of a metadata standard for exchanging such information.  What field and taxonomy to use for facial hair is a legitimate question for researchers.

It would also be interesting if there’s agreement in the naming.  I had grown up calling hair surrounding the mouth without sideburns a goatee, but I’ve since learned that’s a van Dyke and a goatee does not include the mustache area

(I think I was watching something about about beard and mustache completion...  https://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/categories )

This is close enough to the beginning of April, and with enough things going wrong in the world that you can’t be sure who is serious or trying to inject some humor.  But I did get a chuckle out of Deborah’s answer

-Joe