A couple quick thoughts:

   - DDC isn't a structure in the same way that those other things are. DDC
   defines a conceptual universe (portions of which are regularly redefined)
   as well as ways of navigating it. In this sense, the navigation has more in
   common with menuing and the content has more in common with something like
   an index or thesaurus
   - DDC is owned by a giant library cooperative, so it makes more sense
   for the libraries to simply make it publicly available than to look for
   legal/technical loopholes to do the same. However, I've never been able to
   tell that stuff libraries own (particularly tools) is any more more open
   than stuff they don't.
   - DDC doesn't exist as a format per se, certainly not MARC which is
   simply a container developed to ship info around on tape more than a half
   century ago.

kyle