Dear Christina,

I coordinate library school practica for my library and we  provide
formal practica through which the student earns course credit for the
MLIS degree and usually produces some kind of reflection for the school
in addition to whatever they produce for the library. I'm not sure that
this is your situation. We publicize our program on our library's
website: https://library.rice.edu/content/internships.

Our practica, because they function as an academic course, are unpaid.
If we were to be approached by a student who did not need credit but
wanted professional-level experience, we might still be able to help
out, but on a volunteer basis.

We don't have a budget for paid practica. I believe that lack of pay for
professional experience is considered a problem in many fields, not just
librarianship, and an element of professional education that creates an
uneven playing field for students. I can see the problem but am not
provided funds to address it.

Best,
Melinda Flannery

Melinda Reagor Flannery
Assistant University Librarian for Technical Services
Rice University
Fondren Library-MS44
B52D Fondren
6100 Main Street