The Mailbag Project<https://archives.albany.edu/mailbag/spec/> is excited to announce the draft release of the Mailbag Specification 0.1<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X7pOHxxzZl6PyMAJWd7bIR11rE4FlKty3J7oI6ghAKo/edit> with an open call for comments!

The Mailbag Specification aims to provide a structured and actionable package based on the Bagit Specification<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8493> to preserve email using multiple preservation formats.

Any feedback is welcome, though are a number of issues in particular that we have created GitHub issues for that we're looking for further comments on:

  *   Can/should a mailbag contain multiple email accounts?<https://github.com/UAlbanyArchives/mailbag/issues/2>
  *   Can a mailbag be used to package multiple versions of email, such as for weeding or redactions?<https://github.com/UAlbanyArchives/mailbag/issues/3>
  *   Will a mailbag include descriptive metadata?<https://github.com/UAlbanyArchives/mailbag/issues/4>
  *   Will a Mailbag include PREMIS events?<https://github.com/UAlbanyArchives/mailbag/issues/5>
  *   Use of mailbag.csv<https://github.com/UAlbanyArchives/mailbag/issues/6>
  *   Use of original filenames<https://github.com/UAlbanyArchives/mailbag/issues/7>
  *   Will mailbag use EA-PDF?<https://github.com/UAlbanyArchives/mailbag/issues/8>
  *   Use of personas<https://github.com/UAlbanyArchives/mailbag/issues/9>
  *   Line endings and encoding for tag files<https://github.com/UAlbanyArchives/mailbag/issues/10>
In addition to commenting on Github you are also welcome to comment directly on the specification Google Doc<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X7pOHxxzZl6PyMAJWd7bIR11rE4FlKty3J7oI6ghAKo/edit>. General feedback is great, and it's even more actionable for us if you offer specific user stories or make connections to the project personas<https://archives.albany.edu/mailbag/personas/>!

Gregory Wiedeman
University Archivist
M.E. Grenander Department of Special Collections & Archives
University at Albany, SUNY
518-437-3936