**Apologies for Cross-Posting**

Dear Colleagues,

One week from today (Monday, 26 July 2021, 16:00 - 17:45 BST), the Practical Applications of IIIF Project is delighted to be facilitating a conversation discussing the methods, challenges and possibilities of Image Registration with an international panel of experts.

One of the often emphasised benefits of IIIF is it's ability to facilitate seamless 'deep-zoom', allowing the user to hone in on the tiniest of details; however, that user's experience is entirely dependent upon the level of detail captured by the photographer, conservator, or technical imaging professional.

As our ability to capture higher resolution images and delve beyond the surface of the canvas has improved - allowing us to examine paint layers, explore under-drawing, and employ X-rays, infra-red spectroscopy, and multispectral imaging to understand the methods production and the subsequent histories of complex cultural heritage objects - so has our need to contextualise these samples, present them to our audiences, and use them for conservation and research.

Image Registration, simply put, is the process of aligning one image on top of another one, yet the process of doing so is remarkably complex. Arising out of the first Practical Applications of IIIF Webinar (https://tanc-ahrc.github.io/IIIF-TNC/webinar01.html), and a subsequent call as part of the IIIF Museums Community Group in the beginning of May, it was decided that we needed a dedicated time to discuss not only how Image Registration is currently being employed across various sectors, but also share some recommendations and effective practices, as well as consider the ways in which Image Registration is evolving and how it may be accomplished in the future.

To this end, we've invited panellists to share their expertise in what we hope shall be a lively and informative conversation in which participants from the audience are encouraged to actively participate.

Confirmed panellists include: Giles Bergel (University of Oxford), Andrew Bruce (National Gallery, UK), John Cupitt (Imperial College London), John Delaney (National Gallery of Art, USA), Joanne Dyer (British Museum), Rob Erdmann (Rijksmuseum), Adam Gibson (UCL), Catherine Higgitt (National Gallery, UK), Richard Palmer (V&A), Maria Villafane (Imperial College London), Keats Webb (Smithsonian Institution), and Charles Willard (UCL).
Registration is now open and available at https://bit.ly/ImageReg

We hope you'll be able to join us!

All best,
Anne