Data Analyst and Taxonomist

Date:  Jul 8, 2021

Location:

remote, NC, US, remote

Company Name:

EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.

DATA ANALYST AND TAXONOMIST

At NoveList, we believe that books have the power to transform lives. NoveList has been helping readers find their next favorite book for more than 25 years and continues to develop innovative solutions for connecting readers, books, and libraries. If you have a passion for metadata, love getting into the finer points of subgenres, and have a favorite story trope, whether that’s zombie apocalypse or unlikely friendships, this is the place for you!

NoveList is part of EBSCO Information Services (EIS), which provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with a powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users.

JOB DESCRIPTION

The Data Analyst and Taxonomist will take a collaborative leadership role in pivoting NoveList’s current taxonomy structure into a hierarchy with clear entity relationships to facilitate user browsing and navigation as well as compatibility with machine learning initiatives in a collaborative team setting. This individual will also be responsible for assessing data processing workflow for efficiency and providing data-driven insight through data mining and data visualization. Many of our products are built on innovative metadata that connects readers to books. This position will help us build on this creative, dynamic approach to metadata with up-to-date strategies that will serve and anticipate our users’ needs.

The Data Analyst and Taxonomist will:

Review and update our existing metadata structure to include entity relationships and a browsable hierarchy.

Maintain our taxonomy according to best practices as we continue to add to and refine our vocabulary.

Identify new product opportunities we may pursue by creatively leveraging our data.

Review data processing for efficiency, process simplifications, and opportunities for automation.

Advise Product Management and leadership on taxonomy and metadata solutions for improving customer experience.

Analyze data to convey compelling data stories and reports.

Keep informed of existing and emerging metadata standards, tools, and best practices, as well as developments in interoperability.

Coordinate with Product Management to improve existing products and make recommendations regarding user navigation.

Create and enrich bibliographic records for adult and juvenile, fiction and nonfiction books, detailing different story elements such as genre, subjects, themes and appeal.

Working with other NoveList staff on a variety of team projects that are designed to improve the book search and discovery experiences for librarians, school media coordinators, teachers, parents, as well as adult and juvenile readers.

Mentor and educate peers and thrive in a collaborative team environment.

Work on other departmental projects as needed.

PREFERRED EXPERIENCE:

Demonstrated professional knowledge of controlled vocabularies, classification, ontology and taxonomy management.

Experience building taxonomies for machine learning classification systems.

Great verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical and metadata information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences.

Data mining and data visualization skills.

Knowledge of linked data and semantic web applications.

Proven ability to work and deliver effectively in cross-functional teams.

Demonstrated project management skills with experience in leading team projects and new process initiatives.

Knowledge of SQL.

Familiarity with MARC and other metadata schemas.

Familiarity with Polaris, Amplitude, Tableau, and SQLServer a plus.

Familiarity with libraries, book culture, and readers’ advisory.

EDUCATION

Preferred Master’s Degree in Library Science, Information Science or related degree preferred; equivalent work experience also considered.

We encourage you to apply for this position even if you feel you do not meet all the requirements. EBSCO is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.

If you feel that you meet some but not all the requirements, don’t let a confidence gap stop you from applying. Sometimes a list of “preferred qualifications” can miss the elements that would most strengthen our team; we value the many different skills which make all of us unique. EBSCO is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.

EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws.  EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.  This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.

EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law.

View EEO PDF

----
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/49077-data-analyst-and-taxonomist