Dear Community:

Today is the day we’ve all been waiting for. We can officially announce that the Fedora 6.0 Production Release is available! After a successful release candidate testing phase we are extremely happy with the state of Fedora 6.0 and are excited to get it in the hands of the community.

The design and development of Fedora 6.0 was guided by three goals: improve the digital preservation feature set, support migrations from all previous versions of the software, and improve performance and scalability. Drawing on community input at all stages, we are delighted to announce that we got there.

Highlights of Fedora 6.0 include:

  1.  Oxford Common File Layout (OCFL) persistence

  2.  Robust migration tooling and documentation

  3.  Improved performance and scale

  4.  Built-in simple search

  5.  Minimal API changes

A huge effort has gone into making this happen. Here’s a list of the individuals who contributed to development, testing and documentation of this release [1]. We cannot express our gratitude enough to the individuals and institutions who have helped us achieve this milestone. Special thanks to the core development team whose outsized contributions brought Fedora 6 across the finish line.

  *   Danny Bernstein, LYRASIS

  *   Ben Pennell, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill

  *   Peter Winkles, University of Wisconsin Madison

  *   Jared Whiklo, University of Manitoba

  *   Andrew Woods, Harvard University Libraries (formerly LYRASIS)

https://fedora-repository.atlassian.net/issues/?filter=10008

Try it out:

1) Download the one-click-run:

  *   https://github.com/fcrepo/fcrepo/releases/download/fcrepo-6.0.0/fcrepo-webapp-6.0.0-jetty-console.jar

2) Run in docker:

  *   docker run -p8080:8080 --name=fcrepo6 fcrepo/fcrepo:6.0.0

3) Download and deploy the WAR file:

  *   https://github.com/fcrepo/fcrepo/releases/download/fcrepo-6.0.0/fcrepo-webapp-6.0.0.war

The following tools are also available for use:

  *   Migration-utils [2]:  Migrate from Fedora 3.x to Fedora 6.0

  *   Fcrepo-migration-validator [3]:  Validate your Fedora 3.x -> 6.0 migration

  *   Fcrepo-upgrade-utils [4]: Migrate from Fedora 4.x or 5.x to Fedora 6.0

  *   Fcrepo-import-export [5]:  Import and export Fedora 4.x or 5.x repositories (for use in conjunction with fcrepo-upgrade-utils)

Documentation can be enjoyed here: https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/FEDORA6x/

For migration instructions for Fedora 3.x, 4.x, and 5.x visit this page: https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/FEDORA6x/Migrate+to+Fedora+6

Please use the fedora-tech mailing list [6] or the #fedora-6-testing channel in the Fedora Slack [7] to provide any feedback.

Coming up next...Fedora 6.0 Release Party!! Stay tuned for more details on this special event.

For now... it’s time to celebrate!

Sincerely,

The Fedora Team

[1] https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/FF/Fedora+6.0.0+Release+Notes