If you are a DH researcher working in the United States, have you ever done
or wanted to do a computational text analysis (or “text data mining” / TDM)
project on materials held in countries outside the U.S.? Have you ever
collaborated with a colleague outside of the U.S. on a TDM project? Or
conducted TDM on content created by people living outside the U.S.?

*Please take our anonymous 2-minute survey
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeudmDA7zxBktqpm_3YosG0AVgCq9EHdSAllz2b6lF3Yow1Mg/viewform>
on
cross-border TDM research and share your experience by October 21!*
*About the Survey*
While we have created guidance
<https://berkeley.pressbooks.pub/buildinglltdm/> around copyright,
licensing, privacy, and ethical issues for U.S. researchers working with
data in the U.S., these issues necessarily become more complex when:

   - the materials you want to mine are housed in a foreign jurisdiction /
   are subject to foreign licensing or law,
   - the human subjects you are studying or who created the content you are
   studying reside in another country, or
   - the colleagues with whom you’re collaborating are abroad, and you are
   not sure whose law applies or what’s allowed.

We want to help you text data mine corpora that are held or created beyond
the border of your country or that you access via foreign license
agreements. We also want to help you collaborate with colleagues around the
world on cross-border TDM projects.

You can help us help you by briefly telling us
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeudmDA7zxBktqpm_3YosG0AVgCq9EHdSAllz2b6lF3Yow1Mg/viewform>
whether you’ve ever done, or tried to do, any of the above. What law,
policy, privacy, or ethics problems popped up, and what questions did you
face or do you anticipate facing?

The Google form to which we’ve linked will take you just two minutes to
complete and is completely anonymous. You can leave us your email address
if you are open to us following up with you further or if you'd also like
to be kept in mind for roundtables we hope to hold on these issues. We’d be
ever so grateful if you could fill it out by October 21.

Your input can be instrumental in helping us support cross-border TDM
research. We greatly appreciate your time.

*About the LLTDM Project*
Our project team recently led Building LLTDM <https://buildinglltdm.org/>,
an NEH-sponsored institute to train digital humanities TDM researchers,
librarians, and professionals on the law, policy, and ethics they need to
know to conduct text data mining. (Even if you didn’t attend the institute,
you can still learn everything that participants did by checking out our OER
<https://berkeley.pressbooks.pub/buildinglltdm/>.) The institute focused
mainly on U.S. law and policy, but it also lightly touched on similar
issues that arise when TDM projects, or the corpora on which they depend,
cross international boundaries. Institute participants expressed great
interest in learning more about how to solve cross-border TDM law and
policy questions. So, we’d like to develop an additional module for the
institute that provides much-needed guidance.

Best,
The UC Berkeley Building LLTDM team
Cross-Border TDM Survey
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeudmDA7zxBktqpm_3YosG0AVgCq9EHdSAllz2b6lF3Yow1Mg/viewform>

Stacy Reardon (she/her)
Literatures and Digital Humanities Librarian