Sharing for those of you who may be interested:

The Visual Resources Association Foundation (VRAF) is pleased to announce registration is now live for A Thoughtful Approach to Project Management: From Fundamentals to Practice<https://vrafoundation.org/regional-workshops/current-regional-workshops/thoughtful-approach-project-management/> with instructor Cristela Garcia-Spitz, the Digital Initiatives Librarian and Curator for the Tuzin Archive for Melanesian Anthropology at the UC San Diego Library. This online workshop will be held via Zoom on November 5 and November 19, 2021, 1:00 pm–3:00 pm EDT.

REGISTRATION

To register, visit the VRAF A Thoughtful Approach to Project Management webpage<https://vrafoundation.org/regional-workshops/current-regional-workshops/thoughtful-approach-project-management/>. The workshop fee is $50. If you have questions about registration, contact VRAF Director Chris Strasbaugh, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. For general questions about the workshop, email the Regional Workshops Implementation Team at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

The VRAF is grateful to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation for their continued support of this exciting opportunity to partner with cultural heritage and educational institutions. You can read about all the workshops planned for 2021 on our website: https://vrafoundation.org/regional-workshops/current-regional-workshops/

WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION

While project management offers an array of tools and techniques, how do we lead with a people-centered approach? Digital scholarship increasingly requires work across distributed, cross-functional teams. This workshop will cover how to use hybrid methods to meet the needs of specific projects, grounded in community.

·         Part 1 will consist of project management basics and an overview of different methodologies and tools. This section will include practical considerations and scenarios.

·         Part 2 will focus on project management in practice and shared lessons learned from existing projects. Participants are encouraged to bring their own projects to the discussion.

Collectively, participants will discuss how to think about the impact of our work and how to build systems of care that can empower our communities to make knowledgeable decisions in the curation of our cultural heritage and respectfully curate, preserve and provide access to those materials.

ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR

Cristela Garcia-Spitz is the Digital Initiatives Librarian and Curator for the Tuzin Archive for Melanesian Anthropology at the UC San Diego Library, where she collaborates across areas of the library, campus, and community on projects to ensure the long-term accessibility, use, and preservation of the University’s unique collections available at library.ucsd.edu/dc<https://library.ucsd.edu/dc>. Previously, she worked at the Software Engineering Institute Library at Carnegie Mellon University where she gained a foundation in project management principles and methodologies.