Dear colleagues,

There is no single correct way for a library to publish journals; it’s a
process that often grows organically in response to local needs. However,
having models to draw from when creating or updating a journal publishing
workflow can result in better processes and stronger partnerships.

To enable library publishers to build on each others’ work in this area,
the Library Publishing Workflows project
<https://educopia.org/library-publishing-workflows/> is excited to release
a complete set of journal publishing workflow documentation for each of our
twelve partner libraries.

The programs behind these workflows are large and small, high-touch and
light-touch, and staffed and focused in a variety of ways. Individually,
they offer models for similar programs. As a set, they highlight the
diversity of practice in this vital area of librarianship.

For each partner library, we have provided a program profile, one or more
workflow diagrams, and accompanying detailed workflows. We are also
releasing the workflow diagrams as a set, to enable quick review and
comparison across all of the workflows. The documentation is the result of
more than two years of interviews, revisions, group discussions, and peer
reviews. Because publishing workflows are always evolving, however, this
documentation represents a snapshot in time.
Coming soon

The workflows release is just the start! Over the next few months, we will
publish a blog post from each of our partners about the evolution of their
programs and workflows.  These posts will provide context about how the
workflows came to be and how they have evolved over time. Look for these
posts on the Library Publishing Coalition Blog
<https://librarypublishing.org/category/blog/workflows/>.

Interested in creating your own workflow documentation? In January, we will
release a set of tools that library publishers can use to document their
own workflows, as well as tools to support the use of the documentation
process to reflect on and improve local practices.

All best,
Hannah
--
Hannah Ballard <https://educopia.org/staff/hannah-ballard>