We have a substantial infrastructure base on AWS, and we regularly
review our alternatives. So far, those reviews have kept us at AWS. We find
that AWS excels in its understanding of its diverse user base, and its
excellent support. It has great pricing, a large suite of security tools,
and a diverse range of deployment services, all of which build on its core
services. As a small, library-focused company that manages about 200
assets, mostly websites and web-apps, for a lot of clients, it is critical
that we be able to keep these assets online and secure with a very small
staff. We can do that at AWS.

I like DO's services, but I have some issues. We monitor all of our servers
for intrusion attempts, and we see a lot coming from DO. They are by far
the largest source in the US. While I am certain that DO is not attacking
our sites, this speaks to a general lack of concern on their part, and I
find that disturbing. We get these from Azure, Google, IBM, HP, etc., and
even a few from AWS, but at rates that are less than one percent of what we
see from DO. I have a pretty good idea of how AWS keeps this under control,
and I am certain that DO could reign it in, if they were of a mind to.

Thanks,

Cary

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 7:24 AM Junior Tidal <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our library is considering moving away from AWS as a cloud host for our
> library website.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for an alternative cloud
> hosting company that works with educational institutions?
>
> All the best,
> Junior
>
> Junior Tidal (he/him/his)
> Associate Professor, Web Services & Multimedia Librarian
> New York City College of Technology, CUNY
> 300 Jay St., L434
> Brooklyn, NY 11201
> 718.260.5481
>
> https://library.citytech.cuny.edu<https://library.citytech.cuny.edu/>