It works fine for me in Firefox.  Left click on the starting point. You get a popup with several options; select "measure distance".  Then trace out a path with successive right clicks.

					Steve McDonald

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of charles meyer
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2022 3:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Calculating distance on an online map

My esteemed listmates,

Here's another task I thought should be easy.

You find a location using Google Maps or mapquest.

Now you wish to ascertain how many miles from the freeway/highway exit t is driving from the freeway exit to the destination?

Googling this it shares you place your cursor exactly on the area of the map you wish to start your calculation and  then relocate your cursor to the ending point and it's supposed to display how many miles that is.

Using Firefox and Google Maps - no such luck.

It's not self-evident how to even find a starting point in mapquest.

Has anyone found a browser and site which does this?

Thank you.

Charles.

Charles Meyer
Charlotte County Public Library