Dear Colleagues,

The Digital Repository of Ireland is involved in the hosting of two upcoming events that might be of interest to the DLF community. Please find the details below.

Event: Getting Started with Oral Histories Plenary

Time and Date: Wed 18 May from 3:00 pm–4:30 pm IST

Location: Online (Zoom)

The Digital Repository of Ireland is a member of the LIR Committee. Their mission is to keep librarians, academic librarians in particular, informed about technologies that affect their practice

The LIR Committee has designed a ‘Getting Started with Oral Histories’ Plenary to equip academic librarians, and a broader audience of digital archivists, data stewards, researchers, and historians, with the knowledge and information necessary to plan an oral history project.

The Plenary will cover the following key areas:

·         Policy, legislation, and consent forms

·         Research methods, interview techniques, and planning for digital preservation

·         The use of innovative open source software to digitally index recorded interviews and synchronise text with audio and video

Speakers include:

·         Dr Aileen O’Carroll, Policy Manager at the Digital Repository of Ireland

·         Dr Elizabeth (Liz) Kiely, Senior Lecturer in Social Policy at University College Cork

·         Doug Boyd, Director of the Louise B. Nunn Center for Oral History at the University of Kentucky

The Plenary will feature three 20 min talks delivered by the expert speakers followed by an open Q&A session. It will be chaired by Systems Librarian at the Waterford Institute of Technology, David Kane.

For more details, please visit the DRI website: https://dri.ie/lir-committee-getting-started-oral-histories-plenary

Event: Archiving Bodies: Digital Archives, Feminist & Queer Praxis

Location: Hybrid event at Maynooth University and online

Time and Date: Friday 20 May at 10:00-13:00 IST

'Archiving Bodies: Digital Archives, Feminist & Queer Praxis' explores innovative, intersectional, and challenging approaches to digital archives and digital projects. It links a number of projects, researchers and activists challenging our conception of archives: who can archive, and who is archived; how and where we archive; concepts of the archive and their neutrality; who is visible and who is silenced in archival spaces; how we deploy a feminist ethics of care in archiving practice, methods and theory; the ethical challenges archiving trauma, hurt and grief; the role of archives in providing space for critical voices and creative visions; archives of embodied experience and identity creation.

Speakers include:

·         Jamie A Lee (University of Arizona)

·         Adela C. Licona (Associate Professor Emeritus, English, University of Arizona)

·         Orla `Egan (Feminist Digital Humanities Community Coordinator, Full Stack Feminism),

·         Jeneen Naji (Irish Full Stack Feminism PI, Associate Professor in Digital Media)

·         Sharon Webb (UK Full Stack Feminism PI , Senior Lecturer in Digital Humanities)

·         Lorraine Grimes (Wellcome Trust funded Archiving Reproductive Health Project, Digital Repository of Ireland)

For more details visit the DRI website: https://dri.ie/archiving-bodies-digital-archives-feminist-and-queer-praxis

Best wishes,

Áine

Dr Áine Madden

Operations and Communications Manager

Digital Repository of Ireland

Royal Irish Academy

19 Dawson St., Dublin 2

[log in to unmask]www.dri.ie

Subscribe to the DRI Friends Newsletter

Follow us on Twitter @dri_ireland

Follow us on Instagram @dri_ireland

The Academy is subject to the FOI Act 2014, the Data Protection Acts 1988-2003 and 2018, GDPR (EU 2016/679) and S.I. No. 336/2011, EC Privacy & Electronic Communications Regulations. For further information see our website www.ria.ie/privacy-and-data-protection