Hi hello, I'm excited to share that registration is open for "Talking
White" - Transcribing Black Narrators with Alissa Rae Funderburk
<https://www.alissaraefunderburk.com/>, the first session of a workshop
series focused on timed text
<https://amianet.org/events/webinars/online-series-timed-text/>, presented
by the Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA).

This session focuses on creating transcripts from audiovisual recordings
and the means through which personhood is expressed in language, and how
that language is encoded as text, with a focus on Black voices in oral
histories.

Registration for individual sessions/ series is open here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/timed-text-series-registration-354993925387

Additionally, DPOE-N is accepting applications for funding your
professional development, which you can absolutely use for these sessions.
See this link for more details:
https://www.dpoe.network/professional-development-support/

More info:
Memory workers and institutions are increasingly cognizant of the important
role that timed text - captions, subtitles, transcripts, etc. - can play in
curation and in providing access to collections; both in terms of ensuring
equity in access and discovery systems and through integration with digital
humanities techniques and analysis.

This series aims to address some of the challenges that accompany the
practice of textualizing audiovisual resources, namely: workflows for
creating timed text, both machine and human-based; technical requirements
and strategies for displaying timed text; cultural considerations for
transcription and translation; and learning from the experiences of
timed-text users.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly with questions regarding
these programs and we hope to see you there!

Best,
Brendan Coates
AV / Digital Archivist, Computer History Museum
&
Dinah Handel
Digitization Services Manager, Stanford Libraries