Hi everyone,

Some initiatives from faculty in the University of Maine's Digital Curation program that might interest this list:

1. Conference on cultural heritage vocabularies

Dartmouth’s John Bell is co-organizing the virtual conference "Terms of Art: Design, Description, and Discovery in Cataloging" in February. Proposals are due August 31, 2022. (John also happens to teach UMaine's metadata course.) More at

https://dartgo.org/terms-of-art.

2. Webinar on blockchains and preservation

Advice on conserving blockchain-based works for the future is now online in the form of an expert panel from the Second Summit on New Media Art Archiving in Barcelona. Featured speakers include renowned conservator Regina Harsanyi, John Bell (again), and me. Topics include why NFTs are more than receipts, the numerous ways blockchains can fail, how to emulate a dead cryptocurrency, and lessons from the history of art on the Internet. (Oh, and don't forget the "Spectrum of Paranoia.")

You can jump to the topic that interests you via the interactive table of contents here:

https://digitalcuration.umaine.edu/teleconferences/dig_isea_teleconf_2022.html

3. Online courses in digitization and databases

Our summer metadata courses may have sold out, but we have seats left in UMaine's fall online Digital Curation classes. I'm co-teaching our introductory course, DIG 500, which covers how to get analog or born-diginal material into your collection and online, along with legal and cultural considerations.

Also back by popular demand is Craig Dietrich as professor for Digital Collections and Exhibitions (DIG 540). Craig is co-inventor of Scalar, Mukurtu, and many other digital humanities projects, and has worked with academic, artistic, and indigenous communities to build culturally sensitive websites and mobile apps. The course teaches practical technologies for getting a collection in a database and in searchable website.

Classes start 31 August. You can cherrypick individual courses or complete the entire certificate in as little as nine months. More at https://DigitalCuration.UMaine.edu or just email me.

Enjoy what's left of August!

jon
Jon Ippolito
Professor of New Media
Director, Digital Curation graduate program
The University of Maine
https://DigitalCuration.UMaine.edu
https://twitter.com/DigitCurator