It's a lot like Twitter, except:

1) it provides actual useful controls for content warnings, alt text,
blocking, and other human-friendly features;
2) it's federated, so you can have a separate server for your group and
manage invites and access to other servers on a per-user and per-server
basis, which is also good for being a human;
3) as a decentralized platform, it's not owned by a racist blood-emerald
multibillionaire -- also good for respecting humanity.