Kia ora koutou,

We’ve got a sculpture in the library that we’d like to contextualise with a video, and we’re looking for ways to set this up. It’s essentially a digital plaque: something like a screen, probably some quietish speakers, video player software, enough storage for the video, and a start button.

Options we’ve considered:

  *   We’ve eyed up Raspberry Pis for this kind of thing, but then you’ve got to identify/source/assemble all the peripherals yourself and it’s probably very simple and obvious to someone who likes that kind of thing but I’m not a hardware person at all. Also I think at the time we wanted to display a particular website, and it raised network security issues that made us tired just thinking about them.
  *   We’ve tried to get away with using old netbooks/tablets but ITS doesn’t like us keeping those things around past their best-by, also due to network security issues.
  *   The local public library has some very cool interactive displays but they’re also pricy to match. And we’ve got to consider not just the initial purchase (which could conceivably come under a refurbishment project) but also maintenance and replacement in due course (which would have to come out of our normal strained budget).
  *   So we’ve always ended up either a) giving up or b) using a whole PC, which is ridiculously overpowered for a single purpose and yet here we are.

Any ideas for this use-case?

And/or for our other occasional purpose of displaying/letting people browse a specific website? (Ie click links and maybe input keywords for searching.)

Deborah
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Deborah Fitchett (she/her) MLIS, RLIANZA
Associate University Librarian, Digital Scholarship

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Learning, Teaching and Library – Te Whare Pūrākau
PO Box 85064, Lincoln University
Lincoln 7647, Christchurch, New Zealand
+64 3 423 0358
ltl.lincoln.ac.nz

Lincoln University
Te Whare Wānaka o Aoraki

"The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) may be confidential and/or subject to copyright. Any unauthorised use, distribution, or copying of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by return e-mail or telephone and then delete this e-mail together with all attachments from your system."