My first impulse would be to use the old hardware you've got. Is there a
reason the display needs ongoing network access or could everything be set
up to run locally? Perhaps ITS would be more amenable to keeping old
hardware around if you completely disable networking.

For ease of use, I would probably go with an ASUS Chromebox. With a managed
license, you can set everything up from the admin console, lock it down,
and basically forget about it. I have colleagues at other area libraries
that use various chrome products to manage their digital signage and they
have been very successful.

If you do go the whole PC route, there are many mini-pc options these days
that use either laptop or low-power chips that can be fully functional
machines at a fraction of the cost. (Just one example:
https://www.amazon.com/CHUWI-LarkBox-Pro-Computer-Streaming/dp/B08KCZPQ3P/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=arm+linux+mini+pc)
The quality can vary, so I'd just preface the normal caveat of sticking to
the bigger brands.

Lastly, while it is very easy, I don't love Porteus Kiosk for mid- or
long-term projects since the free option does not automatically update and
requires quite a bit of maintenance. Windows has a built-in kiosk mode (
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/kiosk-single-app)
and IMHO there are better options for Linux systems like Cage (
https://github.com/Hjdskes/cage/wiki.) I've done some work setting up our
OPACs using Cage and had success on Ubuntu Server and OpenSUSE. My (very
incomplete) notes on that process can be found here:
https://codeberg.org/Pribrariam/ModernIPAC

Andrew Ward

--
Andrew Ward (he/him/his)