This is a very interesting terminology difference. I'm on the organizing group for that virtual symposium, and real-time mediated access to documents using a document camera setup is the scope for that. However, virtually all of the US colleagues I've spoken to would call that "virtual reference" instead, and use "virtual reading room" to mean something like "virtual access to digitized materials, with access controls".

Tom, we have both of those services here and I'd be happy to talk about that or connect you with my colleagues in Special Collections who run those services.

-Esmé