It's kind of a holdover from when server RAM memory was constrained and
servers more multi-purposed/less specialized, remembering that EZproxy is
not terribly different in 2022 than it was in 2002. To be honest, I'd just
set it to a high value like 30000 and not worry much about it. At the Univ
of Minnesota we run 3 EZproxy servers with a huge number of stanzas
(11k-12k lines of config) and only once every couple of years does one
exceed the MaxVirtualHosts 20000 we set, requiring a trip to the
maintenance screen to clear them.

--
Michael Berkowski