On Nov 10, 2022, at 10:22 AM, Esther M. Jackson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> At the encouragement of one of our attendees, I'd like to share an events
> model that we have been using with success over at the regional code4lib
> nyc group.
>

> *code & coffee - model*
>
>   - Our group meets over Zoom the first or second Friday of each month at
> 12pm EDT for around 60 minutes (announcements shared through METRO
> <https://metro.org/events>)
>
>   - The structure is relatively free-form, with round-robin introductions
> where attendees include an update on a technical project they are working
> on and/or ask for advice on a project (generally while in the planning
> phase of a new project)
>
>   - There is a call facilitator, but usually the conversation flows pretty
> organically
>

> *observations*
>
>   - We have a core group of perhaps 10 regulars who attend as their schedule
> allows, with new attendees regularly joining, including library school
> students
>
>   - The model seems to work best with 6-10 attendees, because there is time
> for everyone to do introductions and have more in-depth conversations about
> a few topics that interest the group
>
>   - Our Zoom meetups naturally expanded to include a monthly in-person
> meetup, when an organizer stepped forward from our Zoom group to coordinate
>
> If you are thinking about organizing a code4lib-related-meetup, or even a
> more general community coding meetup for your library/place of work,
> consider this model! It's low-lift and not too stressful. I adopted this
> model from elsewhere, and have found it friendly for people at all levels
> of coding ability.
>
> --
> Esther Marie Jackson | [log in to unmask]
> Scholarly Communication Technologies Librarian
> Columbia University Libraries

  code_and_coffee++

While I am certainly no fan of Zoom, the Code & Coffee event described above worked very well, IMHO. It worked so well that I encourage additional people to organize such events. I know I will do so. What's also cool, is that since it is Zoom, participants do not have to be in the same physical region, but I can imagine all sorts of reasons why physical proximity would be beneficial. If the idea of Code & Coffee seems to take root, then we can add a list of these things on the Code4Lib wiki making it easier to participate in far-reaching sessions.

Here is a 10-step facilitation process that might work, and I'm sharing it as open source. Season to taste:

  1. decide to give Code & Coffee a try
  2. choose a date and time
  3. ideally, identify somebody to give a presentation which anchors the session
  4. with vim & vigor make people aware of the event
  5. manage your personal expectations regarding attendance
  6. host the event
  7. ideally, summarize the event and share widely
  8. go to Step #2 at least two more times
  9. evaluate, and if deemed successful, then go to Step #2
 10. done

Have I inspired anyone the way I have been inspired?

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Navari Family Center for Digital Scholarship

574/631-8604
https://cds.library.nd.edu