Hello,

Next week, AI4LAM - an international, participatory community focused on advancing the use of artificial intelligence in, for and by libraries, archives and museums - is hosting a fully remote event with lectures, discussions, and hands-on sessions to suit all time zones.

The AI4LAM 2022 Virtual Event begins on Wednesday, 30 November, with our conference opening at 19:00 UTC. We'll be joined by Margaret Mitchell from Huggingface and Sayash Kapoor from Princeton University to deliver our keynote addresses. Margaret Mitchell will be discussing BigScience: A community effort to create a large open language model, and Sayash Kapoor will be delivering a talk on Reproducibility Crisis in Machine Learning Based Science.

Thursday, 1 December will see us hosting at least two community discussions, first from 7:00-9:00 UTC on Applying AI in the Smaller Research Library, led by members Andrew Cox, Emmanuelle Bermes and Sam Thomas in association with IFLA AI SIG. Then from 16:00-18:00 UTC, members of the Teaching & Learning Working Group - Claudia Engler, Daniel van Strien, and Mike Trinza - will be leading a discussion on Teaching and Learning AI for GLAM.

Finally, Friday, 2 December, we'll end the conference with some hands-on workshops and an opportunity to dive in and learn more through discussion, instruction, and experimentation. At 9:00-11:00 UTC, Giles Bergel is leading Introduction to Computer Vision. From 16:00-17:00 UTC, Claudia Engler will be facilitation a workshop on Integration of Data Sheets into GLAM Practice. And for our final session from 20:00-21:00 UTC, Abigail Potter and Meghan Ferriter will be introducing A Proposed Framework for Operationalising AI in LAMs.

You can find full details for all of our sessions on ai4lam.org, including local times, topics for discussion, and learning goals. All of the sessions are available to be booked individually, and we strongly recommend booking now on our registration page to avoid disappointment. We can't wait to see you online!

Best wishes,

Deirdre Sullivan

On behalf of the AI4LAM Secretariat

We work flexibly - so while it suits me to email now, I do not expect a response or action outside of your own working hours. My typical working pattern is Mon-Fri, 8:00-16:00.

cid:<a href=[log in to unmask]">

Deirdre Sullivan
Pronouns: She/her/hers

Business Support Officer, Digital Scholarship Training Initiatives

Digital Research Team

The British Library
96 Euston Road
LONDON