Patrick,

I commend you on expanding your knowledge and skill.  Creating, modifying or even just understanding computer code can be very satisfying.  While in some sense it doesn't really matter what kind of code you learn as a beginner, you may want to start thinking about what direction you want to go with your coding.  Web design, app development, gaming graphics, AI, administrative scripting, and many others are all very different coding paths.  Be prepared no matter which direction you go in IT/programming to always be learning new things.  It is a fast and ever-changing world.

Personally, I like working in a library (as a sysadmin who writes a fair number of scripts) because there is so much variety and surprising complexity and the people I assist are generally friendly, intelligent (even if they aren't "techies"), and interesting.  If you are more of a tune-out-the-world-and-grind-through-a-specific-problem-without-concerning-yourself-with-the-bigger-picture person, a larger, corporate coding environment may be more to your liking.

If I can give one single piece of advice that I tell to anyone who will listen... Learn regular expressions ("regex").  Even if you decide that you hate writing code, knowledge of regexes can be beneficial in ANY job requiring general computer use.  It is my firm belief that -- like learning to swim or to tie a few useful knots-- *nobody* regrets learning basic regular expressions.

That's my $.02.  Good luck!

Erich

On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 18:09, Patrick Pletcher eloquently inscribed: