I would second using Unpaywall for this purpose. Librarians at the
University of Minnesota and Penn State put together a short course on
analyzing publication output, including using the Unpaywall API with
OpenRefine, which is available here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hbZkNNqoHI9nWlSOdKv-ca12wUlGu55xadU16SXPaQA/edit?usp=sharing.
Personally, I've found it very helpful.

Caitlin Bakker (she/her)
Discovery Technologies Librarian
Dr. John Archer Library
University of Regina

(306) 585-4015 | [log in to unmask] | 0000-0003-4154-8382
( https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4154-8382)

The University of Regina is situated on Treaty 4 lands with a presence
in Treaty 6. These are the territories of the Cree, Saulteaux, Dakota,
Lakota, and Nakoda, and the homeland of the Métis/Michif Nation.

>>> Jessica Hymers <[log in to unmask]> 2023-01-26 10:25 AM >>>
Hi Eric,
If you have DOI you could try querying Unpaywall
<https://unpaywall.org/> and

I think Open Access Button <https://openaccessbutton.org/> might work
with

metadata other than DOI as well.
Cheers
Jessica
University of Toronto

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 11:16 AM Eric Lease Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Given bibliographic metadata such as author, article title, journal
title,
> date, etc., how can one programmatically go about learning whether or
not
> the given article has been published as open access? I suppose I
could
> query something like SHERPA. No? What might you suggest? --Eric
Morgan,