Charles,

Disclaimer:  We are a Dell shop.  I have zero experience with support from any other vendor.

What I tell everyone who asks for advice on purchasing a laptop for personal use is that -- to my knowledge -- Dell is the only vendor who offers a 5-year warranty with accidental damage.  Just about any part that fails will cost you more to replace than the warranty.  That goes doubly true with a vendor who doesn't have a robust parts supply chain.  That said, we've also learned the hard way that repeated accidental damage will eventually cancel the warranty.

Also, aim for their "business class" models (Optiplex, Precision, Latitude).  The other models are effectively beta versions and customers are the QA department.  Dell designs a new system then uses the thousands of individual users' problems to work out the kinks.  Most users with a problem will think they were just unlucky.  Once they nail the stability down, they integrate all the working components and sell it to businesses who can monitor failure rates (and change vendors if the failure is too high).  It is possible other vendors have a similar method of identifying issues with new hardware components.

You also need to recognize that no vendor is going to give you tech support for "advanced graphics needs".  They will troubleshoot hardware failures and outdated drivers only.  Anything more than that and you are on your own.

Erich

On Monday, January 16, 2023 at 13:21, Charles Meyer eloquently inscribed: