I don't think it should be an either/or. I was a systems librarian way
before such beasts were defined, much less recruited. I was trained as a
bibliographic searcher supporting bibliographers ordering books (no longer
do those folks exist, really) and transitioned to a cataloger some years
later), so I always knew bib data really well. I started my technical
learning, in charge of loading tapes into a NOTIS system and then
supervising authorities work. I think some kind of library certification
(maybe MLS or equivalent) plus experience in cataloging or acquisitions (or
whatever they're called these days) should be sufficient. It's about the
data, folks--the technical stuff is much easier to find in the wild and can
effectively be teamed with a librarian that knows the data.

Diane Hillmann
Librarian (retired, but still sentient)