Delivering good service is all about understanding pain and joy points --
which those without library experience won't have.

My consistent observation both working in libraries and as a vendor rep
with systems personnel with all kinds of institutions is that library
experience is very important for delivering what is needed.

 When people don't understand what the real task at hand is or the context
of communications, they can't see opportunities and problems that are
totally obvious, and you get a dynamic much like this video where someone
makes a sandwich based on written instructions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct-lOOUqmyY Everything takes much longer,
and the results are not anywhere near as good.

Exposure to the work is important, and I think it can be gained without a
degree even if that is helpful.