From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Eric Phetteplace
Sent: Friday, 17 February 2023 7:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Systems - to librarian or not to librarian?

Hi Will,

As a Systems Librarian myself, *a lot* of what I do doesn't require an MLIS. Web dev, dev ops, data munging, API integration between systems, etc.
The only thing that gives me pause is that you've stated the position will work primarily with your ILS, which is one area where a library background is really helpful. You are not going to find many folks without a degree who know what MARC is, or are familiar with the intricacies of an ILS.
Maybe that isn't an issue, my honest answer to your question is "I don't know", but it'd make me a little worried. People can, of course, pick up this knowledge over time, so maybe a related question is how much of a learning curve you're willing to accept.

Best,
Eric

On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 3:32 PM <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> 1. Are there benefits or advancement differences between a librarian
> and technical position at your institution?
>
> 2. Is the MLIS requirement strict or do you consider also equivalence
> such as experience plus technical degrees?
>
> Kate Deibel

Disclaimer