Will,

I am the "Head of Systems" here, and I don't think I would have been considered for the job without my MLIS.  I had 20 years experience in IT (during which I worked through the degree) before being hired, and my supervisor and team recognized that I had no actual Library experience.  They were willing to guide me because of my technical abilities, but the first year was completely overwhelming. The complexity and lingo had my brain struggling to comprehend how it all fit together.  I believe I'm doing OK at the job now, but I have to give enormous credit to my incredible and dedicated employees and also recognize that the pandemic shutdown -- when I was the only person in the building for several months -- afforded me the opportunity to catch up and resolve problems that couldn't be managed in short, 15 minute segments between meetings and other crises.

What I'm saying is that I honestly don't think the courses I took for my degree did all that much to prepare me for this job.  What it may have done though is tell the hiring committee that I was/am interested in the concepts and philosophies of libraries and information science and am willing to continue learning.

Maybe the MLIS degree should be an alternative to x years of library experience (along with demonstrated technical skills).

Erich

On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 18:24, Will Martin eloquently inscribed: