We've recently made some of our library systems jobs MLS optional. In one
particular case only the job title differs between someone with and without
an MLS degree. Here's a snippet from a recent job posting
<https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/54001-systems-librarian>:

Hiring range
> We’re looking to make the right addition to our team. Salary is
> commensurate with your experience implementing Library systems in a
> Linux/Unix environment. Regardless of your experience level, we’re
> committed to supporting your growth in this role.
>
>    - Less than 3 years: Associate Systems Librarian - $59,550 - $74,450
>

>    - 3-5 years: Systems Librarian - $69,100 - $86,350
>

>    - 5 or more years: Senior Systems Librarian - $78,100 - $97,650
>
> Candidates without the MLS degree will have Systems Administrator for
> title.

We've also noticed that since we've made some systems jobs MLS optional
(and changing the overall language of the job posting to encourage folks
with overlapping/equivalent technical skills to apply) we've been able to
recruit people from more diverse, underrepresented, and nontraditional
backgrounds. There's definitely an expectation of on-the-job training since
we're casting a wide net, but we've broadened our focus to candidates that
have a good technical aptitude, an affinity to learn, and complementary
skills that can be applied to this position. Overall, I'd say it's been a
positive experience!

Jesse

--
Jesse Martinez