To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday February 17 2023 10:07:38AM
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Systems - to librarian or not to librarian?

 I don't think it should be an either/or. I was a systems librarian
way
 before such beasts were defined, much less recruited. I was trained
as a
 bibliographic searcher supporting bibliographers ordering books (no
longer
 do those folks exist, really) and transitioned to a cataloger some
years
 later), so I always knew bib data really well. I started my technical
 learning, in charge of loading tapes into a NOTIS system and then
 supervising authorities work. I think some kind of library
certification
 (maybe MLS or equivalent) plus experience in cataloging or
acquisitions (or
 whatever they're called these days) should be sufficient. It's about
the
 data, folks--the technical stuff is much easier to find in the wild
and can
 effectively be teamed with a librarian that knows the data.

 Diane Hillmann
 Librarian (retired, but still sentient)