Thank you so much to all for your thoughtful replies.  It has certainly
prompted quite a discussion (sometimes philosophical) among my colleagues,
and we'll be keeping them in mind as we go on.  It appears that, at the
very least, additional outreach in some way, shape or form is needed,
especially at the local shelter here in town.

Here the question has expanded beyond the issue of unreturned laptops
because we're also considering a library of things circulation program in
which there may be some high priced items included.  One contentious issue
has to do with possibly requiring a credit card number on record in case of
loss, damage or theft.  Of course, we don't require a credit card when
checking out a laptop, as we recognize that most who need a laptop are
unlikely to have a credit card.  But what if we were to loan out a $500 360
degree camera?  I may be pig-headed, but I see no reason why we couldn't
require a credit card for something like that; however, the question of
fairness was raised, that we shouldn't presume that an impoverished or
homeless person *wouldn't* need a 360 degree camera, and therefore we
shouldn't require a credit card for such things as well.  In an ideal world
I'd agree, but I think that practicality here demands otherwise.

Getting back to the laptops, my solution would be to have them do a
non-stop Rick Roll <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ> after the
due date.  Then again, the words, "Never gonna give you up..." are not what
we want the patron to think in this case. ;-}

Best wishes to all!

John Lolis
Coordinator of Computer Systems

100 Martine Avenue
White Plains, NY  10601

tel: 1.914.422.1497
fax: 1.914.422.1452

https://whiteplainslibrary.org/

*“I would rather have questions that can’t be answered than answers that
can’t be questioned.”*
— Richard Feynman
<https://click.fourhourmail.com/5qure95xkf7hvvo93wh2/7qh7h8h05vr4zrtz/aHR0cHM6Ly9lbi53aWtpcGVkaWEub3JnL3dpa2kvUmljaGFyZF9GZXlubWFu>,
theoretical physicist and recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965