Dear all,

You might be interested in these opportunities, or know someone who is. I’d
love to see a range of responses from freelancers, PhD students and early
career folk in museum / cultural heritage technology, digital humanities,
data science, or folk from the commercial sector dipping into the world of
library and humanities data and methods.

Ruth Ahnert, Principal Investigator for Living with Machines, has written a
blog post providing some background information:
https://livingwithmachines.ac.uk/digital-residencies/

Key points from her post: ‘Simply put, we want to support people to play
with our data and code in new and creative ways. What are the datasets and
tools? The data and tools we are proposing that people work with are as
follows. Links take you to the data/code repo or to blog posts about them:

   - StopsGB: Structured Timeline of Passenger Stations in Great Britain
   <https://bl.iro.bl.uk/concern/datasets/0abea1b1-2a43-4422-ba84-39b354c8bb09>

   - Neural Language Models for Nineteenth-Century English
   <https://zenodo.org/record/4782245#.Y8Z_puzP30o>
   - Newly digitised Ordnance Survey Maps
   <https://livingwithmachines.ac.uk/georeferencing-ordnance-survey-maps/>
   - Diachronic word embeddings
   <https://github.com/Living-with-machines/DiachronicEmb-BigHistData>
   - The crowdsourced accidents data from newspapers
   <https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/bldigital/living-with-machines/>
   - DeezyMatch <https://github.com/Living-with-machines/DeezyMatch>
   - alto2txt <https://github.com/Living-with-machines/alto2txt>

We are open to highly experimental work, and creative applications. You do
not need to be based in the UK!
We need a 600-word proposal, a CV, and costings.

We really want you to apply. So if you have any questions, please contact
us on [log in to unmask]‘ This applies especially if you’re not sure
how a residency might work in your situation.

Apply at
https://www.turing.ac.uk/work-turing/living-machines-open-call-digital-residencies
by Friday April 14. We’ll turn around applications quickly as the work
needs to be completed by 31 July 2023.

Cheers,

Mia
(As Digital Curator, British Library, and Co-Investigator, Living with
Machines)

http://openobjects.org.uk/
http://twitter.com/mia_out
Check out my book! http://bit.ly/CrowdsourcingOurCulturalHeritage
P.S. I mostly use this address for list mail and don't check it daily